Monday, October 9, 2017

WVSTC


The West Virginia Statewide Technology Conference gave me a chance to learn and also give back.  I held a session introducing Breakout EDU and reviewing both physical and digital breakouts.  When I walked into the room to set up I thought is was way too big for the number of people I expected...but I was wrong.  I was amazed at how many people came to find more information about how to get started and the tools they would need.

This conference was exciting for me because I was able to attend sessions from  2 award winning Future Ready Librarians.  The first was a day long pre-conference with guest speaker/moderator Leslie Preddy, who is the most recent President of the American Association of School Librarians a division of the American Library Association.  She talked about the new "AASL National School Library Standards" which will be released this November 2017.   Our district library curriculum was developed incorporating AASL Standards, in conjunction with our own district curriculum in ELA Science and Social Studies, as well as the ISTE Standards for Students.  This information will be especially helpful as we continue our interim library curriculum review this year.

The keynote speaker for this conference was Shannon McClintock Miller.  Shannon is the new spokesperson for Future Ready Librarians and Project Connect.  She also won the "Making It Happen" award from ISTE, along with a "Shorty Special Award for Connecting People".  Her message and story how she connected a whole community is important for all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment