Monday, July 31, 2017

3D Printing



So what exactly does 3D printing do?  Is it a fad or in our future?  This video explains relatively simply how 3D printing works.  It is just amazing to see what has been printed and how far we have come with this technology.  Some 3D printers are even within the $200 range.

The class I took at South Fayette was on the 3D software called BlocksCAD.  It is a fairly complicated program but sure gave me the overview I needed to finally understand how 3D software and printers actually work.  

I also took a class on TinkerCAD, which is another 3D design software and much more user-friendly for younger students.  By user-friendly, I in no way mean easy....after 15 minutes I was completely frustrated and not sure how to move forward, even with the TinkerCAD tutorials.  Luckily, Kirston, one of my Lead Learners at STEMCAMP.edu, was able to sit with me and review the very basics of the program.  If I decide to use it in class, I know there will be huge learning curve for myself before I could ever bring it to my students. 

My takeaway from 3D printing?  I believe it is here to stay and is just in its infancy.  The possibilities especially as it relates to medicine and its ability to help prolong life or make the world easier for those who have lost limbs seems so promising.  My own grandfather lost fingers on his left hand in a terrible farming accident and spent the rest of his life struggling with use of only one hand.  Today the strides that have been made in prosthesis would have made his life so much easier.  I can only hope that the advances in medicine/technology continue to help others.

No comments:

Post a Comment