Tuesday, February 27, 2018

School Library....Public Library

One of the important goals of my sabbatical revolves around Storytime, and in particular, Sensory Storytime.  In trying to find the best professional development, I learned there are slim pickings!  What I did know, was that our Public Library held Sensory Storytimes often and the PA Library Conference 2017 had training specific to this topic.

Our own Carnegie Librarians were the speakers and quoted the CDC who identified 1 in 68 children were diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder in 2011.  As anyone who has ever worked with Autistic children knows, that only means a "Developmental Disability, with a neurological basis that affects their communication and interaction with other".  That does NOT mean that the student will necessarily have an intellectual disability.

The Librarians walked us through their plans for Sensory Storytime.  I was really glad to hear it didn't differ from the ones I have been doing at MES.  However, after listening to their talk, I learned so much to improve my program.

They began by talking about picture schedules, which we do for each lesson.  They talked about multiple means of presentation, which we also plan for and include.  The one item that stopped me cold, though, was time for "calming and relaxation".  Nope, never did that one!  Never even thought about it.  Let's start with I am a Type "A" person with my goals in mind; every lesson should be engaging and memorable for my students.  Yes, it should follow our curriculum as well, of course!  There should not be a minute of instructional time "wasted".  That is another goal I am constantly aware of and work towards.  So "relaxation was not a concept I considered "educational.  But considering that these children's minds must be racing at all times, working on a few minutes of relaxation is like a much needed brain break we all need.

The Librarians shared their favorite books, apps and sensory manipulatives, which I can use during my storytime right away.  I hope we never forget what a wonderful resource our public libraries are for us all.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment